Vet warns pet owners after husky poisoned by cannabis and possibly cocaine

Halo the husky began having convulsions soon after returning home from a run at SFU, owner says

Reports of pets being poisoned by cannabis have been on the rise since legalization in 2018, but it’s very rare to hear of an animal ingesting cocaine, according to a Metro Vancouver veterinarian.

But it’s possible that’s what happened to a five-year-old Siberian husky named Halo on Saturday, Dr. Rajan Kansal says.

Halo was brought to Kansal’s clinic, Maillardville Animal Hospital in Coquitlam, by his owner Kacy Wu after the dog began having strange symptoms.

Kansal said a urine test came up strongly positive for cannabis and slightly positive for cocaine.

“It wasn’t 100 per cent confirmed, but we had suspicions that he had slight positivity for that, so that’s how we treated for the positivity,” said Kansal on Monday. “It could be the ingredient was there in a very low quantity.”

Halo’s misadventure began earlier that day when he was out running alongside Wu, who was cycling near Simon Fraser University.

By Rafferty Baker · CBC News
Read More here: www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/halo-husky-drug-poisoning-1.5648516

Check Also

The Latest on the Sexual Effects of Marijuana

Most people say cannabis enhances lovemaking and the pleasure of orgasm. As of 2020, the …

%d bloggers like this: